Upper endoscopy is a procedure that lets your doctor examine the lining of the upper part of your gastrointestinal tract, which includes the esophagus, stomach and duodenum (the first portion of the small intestine).
Your doctor will use a thin, flexible tube called an endoscope, which has a camera and light source. Images from the camera appear on a video monitor. A variety of instruments can be passed through the endoscope to diagnose and treat any abnormal findings. Contact us today at Bhatti GI in Chaska or Edina, MN to schedule your upper endoscopy: 952-368-3800.
Open or download this PDF for an illustration and more details concerning Upper Endoscopy.
- Any iron supplements should not be taken for one week prior to the day of the procedure.
- If you take a blood thinner, check with your primary doctor who prescribes it as to when you should stop your medicine. If you are on Coumadin, an INR will be needed at least two days prior (no earlier) to your procedure. Please have your doctor fax this to our office at 952-368-3800 or bring the result to your appointment.
- Do not stop taking aspirin if you are taking it for blood thinning purposes, otherwise stop taking it one week prior to your procedure.
- Please bring a current medication list to your appointment.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure. If your procedure is scheduled for the afternoon, you may have clear liquids up to 6 hours prior to the procedure but nothing after that time.
- Arrive at the procedure facility at your scheduled ARRIVAL time. You MUST bring someone along who can drive you home after the procedure. If you arrive without a driver, the procedure will be cancelled and rescheduled for a more convenient time.
- During the procedure you will be given medicine through an IV to help you relax.
- You will be in recovery for a short period of time following the procedure. Plan at least 3 hours total for your procedure.
- If you have a delicate digestive system you MAY want to eat lighter than normal for your first few hours after your procedure.
- Possibly avoid greasy and/or spicy foods until after you put something lighter into your system.
- Unless otherwise directed, you may resume eating normally.
- Resume all medications as directed by your physician.
If you are in need of an upper endoscopy procedure, look no further than Bhatti GI Consultants PA in Chaska, MN. Dr. Ahsan Bhatti has years of experience treating patients throughout Minnesota - with over 40,000 procedures performed. Call today to set up your upper endoscopy procedure at our Chaska, MN or Edina, MN clinics - 952-368-3800.
Request an Appointment