As the calendar turns from December to January, many people make some New Year’s resolutions to work towards a better version of themselves in the new year. Health-related resolutions are the most common type of resolutions that are made (and broken!), but the specific type of these resolutions vary from person to person. Below, we’re going to urge you to consider making some small changes to improve your gut health this year, and we’re going to show just how easy these daily changes can be to accomplish!
5 Ways To Improve Your Gut Health This Year
Here are five small resolutions to try to keep this year if your ultimate goal is to improve your digestive health.
- Whole Over Processed – Strive to choose more whole foods over highly processed options. Carbohydrate-dense and sugar packed foods can cause digestive distress by throwing your gut bacteria out of whack. Try to get most of your vitamins and nutrients from whole foods like fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
- Increase Your Plant Intake – We’re not saying you need to go vegetarian as soon as the ball drops in New York City, but do make a concerted effort to incorporate more vegetables into your diet. The soluble and insoluble fiber in many vegetables can do wonders for your gut health, like helping you manage your blood glucose levels and pass healthy stools. Mix in more greens in 2021.
- More Meal Prep – A lot of us fall into bad eating habits because we don’t take the time to plan ahead. This can lead us to stop at McDonald’s or another fast food joint on the way home from work. This year, make a goal to meal plan each morning or at the beginning of each week so you know where your meals will be coming from later on. You don’t need to cook all your meals for the week on Sunday night, but get better at planning ahead so it’s not as easy to fall into fast food traps later in the day.
- Exercise More – While increased exercise is likely the most common resolution for a myriad of reasons, it’s also beneficial for your gut health. Exercise helps improve your metabolism and keep foods passing through your system as expected. It can also help to curb your appetite, which can prevent problematic snacking. Find an exercise routine that works for you in the new year and you’ll be doing right by your gut health.
- Get Your Screenings – Finally, if you’re overdue for a colon cancer screening or you’ve been dealing with problematic acid reflux for a while now, make 2021 the year that you schedule a visit with a gastroenterologist. A simple check up can help catch problems in their infancy when they are easier to treat, which can make all the difference in your long-term outcomes. Do right by your gut health and whole body healthy by scheduling your annual screening or physical in the new year.
For more tips on how to improve your gut health in the new year, or to talk to a specialist about any digestive issues you’re having, reach out to the experienced team at Bhatti GI Consultants today.