Malabsorption syndrome is the inability to absorb nutrients, vitamins, and minerals from the intestinal tract into the bloodstream.
Causes may include:
- Diseases affecting the intestine itself, such as celiac disease
- Absence or low levels of certain digestive enzymes
- Diseases of the pancreas, such as chronic pancreatitis or cystic fibrosis
- Diseases caused by parasites, such as giardiasis or worms
- Changes in the bacteria normally found in the intestinal tract
- Surgery, such as removal of the gallbladder, that alters or reduces the length of the intestinal tract
- Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)
Symptoms may include:
- Gas, bloating, and vague abdominal discomfort
- Frequent diarrhea and foul-smelling stools
- Weight loss
How is Malabsorption Diagnosed?
Malabsorption is often diagnosed with lab tests that measure fat in stool samples. Other tests can measure malabsorption of specific nutrients such as vitamins. If an abnormality in the bowel lining is suspected, Dr. Bhatti may perform a biopsy as well.
Malabsorption Doctor in Chaska, MN
Treatment for malabsorption includes both providing nutritional support and treating the disease/s affecting your intestinal tract. Dr. Bhatti will evaluate your symptoms to determine the cause of your malabsorption syndrome and recommend the best treatment option for you. Dr. Bhatti is board-certified and has decades of experience treating patients throughout the state of Minnesota.